Marriage Counseling—Couples Therapy
Working with all types of couples: married, same sex (LGBTQ friendly), living together, dating or engaged.
We all want relationships of meaning and deep connection, which is our relationships are so intense. Our relationships can cause us both the greatest joy and the greatest sorrow. They are the most important life experience.
Often couples never learned how to communicate effectively, manage anger, resolve conflicts productively, or to listen empathically to one another. Most people don’t recognize the role they play when a relationship is facing these problems. One person is rarely the problem; it is the relationship system or the relationship dance that is the problem.
- Are you having problems communicating with your loved one?
- Are you feeling misunderstood or that you and your feelings don’t matter?
- You feel that your partner no longer really “hears” you.
- Are you not as close as you used to be?
- Are you so disconnected that all you are sharing is your day and what you plan to have for dinner?
- Feeling lonely because of poor communication.
- Your emotional needs are not being met?
- There is little or no physical or emotional intimacy?
- Are you or your loved one totally consumed talking about the kids’ and their activities? Only talk about the busy schedule or work?
- Do you miss having close quality conversations? Or just the opposite, is your loved one suffocating you?
- You don’t spend quality time together anymore?
- You feel unfilled in your marriage?
- Maybe you’re arguing a lot, having the same fights over and over again?
- Even after you make up, you still feel distant and alone?
- The conflict just goes on and on without resolution?
- Dealing with problems with the kids or a blended family?
- Do you avoid each other because you are afraid of starting an argument?
- Thinking of divorce or a trial separation because you can’t make long lasting changes?
- Is the sexual passion gone?
- You and your loved one aren’t being sexual or are having problems with sex?
- Perhaps there’s been an affair? An office romance or work affair?
- Or you’ve been betrayed somehow? And you feel hopeless?.
- The trust is gone, and you don’t know how to get it back
- Is there a problem with Internet porn/cybersex?
Marriage counseling can help you recover from the anger and get unstuck and out of those same old patterns. Counseling will help you focus on what you really want instead of getting caught in the blame cycle. Sometimes affairs happen. Counseling will help you focus on the underlying issues and causes, instead of getting overwhelmed by all of the details. Trust can be rebuilt after an affair. Couples counseling can help you express your emotions so that you will feel deeply heard and also deeply connected to each other once again.
Even after all that’s happened, you can you heal the hurt and restore your love for each other. The good news is that these skills can be taught, it’s never too late to save a marriage or a relationship.
Even if your partner won’t come in, there is still help available for you. You can come in on your own.
Article on affairs in the workplace.
Article on what is considered cheating, affairs and infidelity.
Read more about Communication in Marriage.